While being prepared for disasters and emergencies is important for all individuals, it is even more critical for those with functional needs who may need assistance during an emergency. The following information provides emergency preparedness tips for individuals with functional needs and their caregivers.
Download a complete copy of
Refer to this Disaster Supplies Kit checklist when assembling the items you need to stay safe during and after a disaster. Consider keeping additional kits at work and in your vehicle(s).
Print and cut out this convenient Emergency Health Information Card. Fill in your information and your emergency contact information. Carry it with you at all times near your drivers license or ID card so it is readily available in the event of an emergency.
American Sign Language Messages
For Additional Information
- Agency Listing and Websites
- American Association of the Deaf-Blind
- American Red Cross: People with Disabilities
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- How to Prepare for and Handle Power Outages for Medical Devices that Require Electricity
- Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS)
- National Organization on Disability
- Office of Disability Integration and Coordination – FEMA
- Preparing for Disaster for People with Disabilities and other Special Needs – FEMA and American Red Cross
- Preparedness for People with Disabilities - American Red Cross
- Ready America – Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Show Me: A Communication Tool for Emergency Shelters